Saturday, April 09, 2011

God Hates Flags

Pew Research:

Fewer than one-in-ten (8%) say they display the Confederate flag in places such as their home or office, on their car or on their clothing; 91% say they do not. The number that displays the Confederate flag is just a small fraction of the 75% who say they display the American flag in their homes or offices, on their cars or their clothing.

Whites who consider themselves Southerners have a more positive reaction to the Confederate flag than do other whites: 22% say they react positively when they see the Confederate flag displayed, compared with 8% of all whites and just 4% of whites who do not consider themselves Southerners.
That's funny. I think I see five Confederate flags just within a couple-mile radius of my house. Anyway:

I don't need no country, I don't fly no flag

- Alabama 3

Don't pledge allegiance to flags, I burn 'em

- Warrior Soul

Patriots? Little boys,
obsessed by Bigness,
Big Pricks, Big Money, Big Bangs.

- W.H. Auden

3 comments:

noel said...

I saw that the teenager across the street has a big confed flag on his bedroom wall. Then he goes out and gets in his car and cranks up the hip-hop. No cognitive dissonance if no cognition!

The Vile Scribbler said...

I'm sure a lot of them are sincere when they say they don't see it as racist. In their ahistorical view, it's just a generic symbol of rebelliousness, a way to assert that "Ain't nobody gonna tell ME whut tuh do!" "I ain't much fer doin' things by the rules!"

If not a rebel flag, they'd probably express themselves through a "Heaven Doesn't Want Me, and Hell's Afraid I'll Take Over" bumper sticker.

noel said...

"The South"s Gonna Do It Again!" -
"Cause we're just that stupid!